There are numerous versions and ways to braise pork trotters but some basic aromatics and seasoning ingredients are necessary and you will never go wrong.
The basic aromatics and seasoning are ginger, garlic, spring onions, star anise, cinnamon or bay leaves, light soy sauce, oyster sauce and rock sugar.
For this recipe, I used boneless roasted pork trotter [easily available at wet market stalls] and the cooking procedures are quick and easy. You can also used whole roasted pork trotter with bones intact.
1 kg roasted pork trotter - cut into bite size or chunky pieces
20 pieces dried shiitake mushrooms - soaked and drained
1-2 stalks spring onions
2 star anise
1 inch piece cinnamon stick or 2-3 bay leaves
a few slices of ginger
a few cloves of garlic
2-3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp 5 spice powder [optional]
1-2 tbsp rock sugar
1 tbsp cooking wine
- Prepare the ingredients as above.
- Heat a non stick wok with some oil [I used a multi-purpose non stick cooker], stir fry aromatics until aromatic.
- Add in meat pieces and mushrooms, seasoning. Stir fry to mix well for 1-2 minutes. Add in hot water enough to cover ingredients. Bring to boil, cover with lid, turn to medium heat.
- Continue to braise/simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring in between cooking time. Taste to fine tune seasoning. Braise until meat is tender water is reduce to thick runny consistency. Off heat and leave to rest until serving time.
- Reheat to serve with rice.