This is an Indian style Fish Curry, rather spicy though as I added a little more of the chillies. I prefer spicy hot curries to really enjoy it.As usual, to cook curry you basically needs spices and aromatics such as chillies, tumeric, cumin, fennel, shallots, ginger and garlic, just to name a few.
By the way, spice blend is rich in anti-inflammatory compounds, strong anti-bacterial properties which may help to reduce oxidative stress, boost heart health, improve blood sugar levels and other potential benefits. Research has shown that a healthy curry could help in easing arthritis and even protecting one from Alzheimer's.
Back to this curry, the spices and aromatic portions is enough to cook about 4-5 pieces of Spanish Mackerel blocks. Here, I substituted it with some hard-boiled eggs. It is appetising, tastes spicy, savoury and sourish.
3 pieces Spanish mackerel blocks
marinate with 1 teaspoon each of salt, curry powder, tumeric powder and 2 teaspoons lime juice
3 hard-boiled eggs - shelled
2-3 sprigs curry leaves
200 ml water
4 tbsp thick tamarind juice
4-5 tbsp cooking oil
1.5 tsp salt to taste
1 tsp sugar to taste
Paste Ingredients [To Blend]
100 gm shallots - peeled and cut into pieces
30 gm ginger - cut into pieces
8 cloves garlic - peeled and cut into pieces
3 small green chillies
8 dried red chillies - soak to soften, cut in pieces
50 gm white grated coconut or 4 tbsp coconut milk
125 ml water
Spice Powder Ingredients [Combined]
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp water
- Marinate fish pieces and eggs with marinate for 20-30 minutes.
- Using a blender, blend the paste ingredients with water. Set aside.
- Combine the spice powders, mix with water into a paste. Set aside.
- Heat a non stick wok with 2 tbsp oil, pan fry fish slices and eggs over medium heat until golden. Remove.
- Add the remaining oil to wok, saute blended curry paste until oil separates, add in curry leaves and the powder paste mix. Continue to fry until aromatic and oil separates.
- Add in tamarind juice and water. Bring to boil, then add in the fried fish slices and eggs. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Continue to cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.