Yummy-licious soup for the family. I had tried this soup using free-range chicken but did not post the recipe. This time, I used soft bone rib meat pieces. It is as good as using chicken.
The peanuts are tender soft but not soggy. Love the crunchy, crispy lotus roots slices. Chinese pearl barley or in Chinese Yi Mi [薏苡仁/薏米], is a gluten-free grain. Though commonly used to make sweet dessert drink, it can be used in savoury soups, too.Ingredients
200 gm soft bone ribs - cut bite size pieces [blanched and rinsed]
50 gm peanuts **
1 section of lotus roots - scraped the outer skin #, sliced
7-8 red dates
1 tbsp Chinese barley - rinsed
several slices ginger
salt and chicken stock granules to taste
800 ml water
- Peanuts** - rinse peanuts, then soak in salty water for several hours. Drain, rinse and store in freezer until required. This helps to shorten or speed up cooking of the peanuts.
- Lotus Roots# - sliced, rinse and soak in water with some vinegar. Prevents de-colourisation.
- Bring water to boil in a claypot or soup pot. Add in ginger, meat, barley and peanuts. Boil for about 15 minutes over medium low heat.
- Add in lotus roots and red dates. Bring to boil for 5-10 minutes. Add more water if reduced.
- Lower heat and simmer for another 25-30 minutes or until meat and peanuts are tender.
- Season with salt and stock granules.
- Scoop in soup bowl or serve in claypot. Serve hot.