A very flavourful pork neck dish. This dish is adapted from a recipe for 'Wuxi Spare Ribs'. I have substituted spare ribs with pork neck meat slices [kak sim in Hokkien]. Glad that I tried this dish as it turned out to be very tasty. The meat is tender but still has a bite and cooking time is much shorter than if I were to use spare ribs.
I can prepare this dish ahead of meal time and just needed to reheat before serving. Can serve is whole or cut, it is still okay. Tastes savoury, sweet but not sourish.
[serve 2-3 ]
300 gm [3-4 slices] of pork shoulder neck meat
Marinate with some salt, pepper, dark soy sauce and cornstarch.
1-2 stalks of spring onion - keep whole or halved
10 slices ginger
1 star anise
1 cup water or more
3 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp each wine, light soy sauce and oyster sauce
2 tbsp sugar
- Marinate meat slices for at least an hour, set aside.
- Heat a non stick wok with some oil, pan fry meat slices on both sides until browned. Dish up or push aside.
- Using the oil in the wok, saute ginger, spring onions and star anise until aromatic.
- Pour in seasoning, fry for several seconds, mix with the meat slices.
- Pour in water, enough to cover meat. Bring to boil and lower heat to simmer for about 20-25 minutes with lid on or until water is reduced to thick.
- Dish up to serve whole or sliced before serving with rice.