My sis bought me a box of 600 gram pau flour mix from Nona. The box contains the flour mix [specified in the box] with sugar etc and a packet of instant yeast [11 gm]. Just follow the instructions given to make the dough. This portion makes 20 medium size paus.
Instead of using custard or kaya paste filling, I used pork fillings.
Ingredients for Fillings
300 gm minced pork [with some fats]
1-2 stalks spring onions - chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
dash of msg and pepper
1 tsp sesame seed oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
can add some dark soy sauce for colour [optional]
- For Filling - Add seasoning to minced meat. Stir in one direction until well mix.
- Gradually add in the chicken broth, stir well after each addition into a thick paste.
- Mix in the spring onions. Chilled until required.
- For Skin - combine flour and yeast in a mixing bowl. Gradually add in water to mix into a rough dough.
- Add in shortening, continue to knead until dough is soft and smooth. Shape into a round ball, leave in bowl, cover to rest for 20 minutes or double in size.
- Punch down, roll into a ball, then divide into 20 equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball.
- Flatten each ball and wrap enough filling, seal the edges well into a pleated or round pau. Place on a piece of parchment paper in a steaming tray [I used bamboo steaming trays]. Finish making the rest.
- Cover and leave to proof for 20-30 minutes or until double in size.
- Steaming over high heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Off heat, remove to cool on wire rack before storing or serve immediately