Recently, came across this easy to prepare popular Taiwanese pork dish recipe. If you have travelled to Taiwan, you would probably have tried and seen this pork rice dish sold all over the country. I have tried several of the Lou Rou recipes which are yummylicious but could be a little more tedious to prepare compared to this one.
This is not as tedious is you can buy ready fried crispy shallots, minced pork and fried firm beancurd.My opinion - it is really quick and easy without compromising the taste and flavour. I would probably stick to this version and freeze them up. It could be an ever ready great meat sauce to serve with steaming hot rice or blanched noodles when I am too lazy to cook but still need to fill the tummy.
I prepared only half portion of this recipe.
600 gm coarsely minced pork [70% lean/30% fats]
1 cup [240 ml] light soy sauce [good quality]
1-2 tsp sugar to taste [can omit if soy sauce is sweet]
1 cup crispy fried shallots
4 cups water
6 hard boiled eggs
some fried firm beancurd pieces [can omit]
- Heat a non stick wok with 1-2 tablespoons oil, add in the minced meat. Stir fry over medium high heat until meat turns white.
- Add in the light soy sauce. Let it boil until bubbly before adding fried shallots. Stir to mix well, then add in water and hard boiled eggs.
- Bring to boil for 1-2 minutes, cover with lid, lower heat to simmer for 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Off heat and leave to rest if not serving immediately.
- If adding beancurd, remove 1/2 portion of the braised meat. Set aside.
- Add beancurd and some water to the remaining meat sauce. Bring to boil, then simmer for another 20 minutes or until sauce is reduced.
- Scoop up over a bowl of steaming hot rice with a dash of pepper. Garnish with spring onions and serve with slices of cucumber [or pickled cucumbers].
Can store in container and freeze up