A homey, easy lotus roots soup with peanuts that is not difficult to cook.
This is a traditional Chinese soup that is nutritious. I especially love the crunchy lotus roots and peanuts. You can add in dried squids if you like but without it, the soup tastes good too. The soup can be cooked over the stove by boiling then simmer for at least 45 minutes or in the slow cooker or using the thermal cooker.
Here, I have prepared the soup by using the thermal cooker to shorten the cooking time over the stove.
You can prepare this soup so long as you have all these ingredients in hand, not necessary to follow the exact proportion of ingredients. So 'cincai' cook also can, the soup is still good.
200 gm shoulder neck ribs - blanched
1 section of lotus roots - sliced
50 gm peanuts - soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
5-6 red dates
salt and pepper to taste
900 ml water
- Blanched pork ribs in hot water, rinsed and drained.
- Rinse peanuts with hot water several times, then soak for about 30 minutes.
- Lightly scrape the skin of the lotus root, then sliced.
- Bring water to boil in a soup pot, add in ribs to boil for about 10 minutes, follow by the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil again, lower heat to simmer for about 35-40 minutes or until the ribs and peanuts are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or hot.