The chicken is tender and absorbs the flavours well. The savoury sweet sauce with the aromatics are so good to spread over the plate of steaming hot rice.
Recipe adapted from Asian At Home You-tube
3 deboned chicken thighs with skin - cut bite size pieces
2 stalks lemongrass [white part only] - thinly sliced
2-3 shallots - chopped
2 chilli padi - thinly sliced
some chopped coriander leaves
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp sugar or gula melaka
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Heat a non stick pan with 1 tbsp oil, pan fry the chicken pieces [skin side first] until brown. Flip over to fry the meat side until brown, too. Dish up or push aside.
- Remove excess oil, add in lemongrass, shallots and chilli padi. Saute until fragrant, then mix in the fried chicken pieces.
- Pour in seasoning, stir to mix well and bring to a bubbly boil.
- Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves.
- Dish up to serve. Top with more coriander leaves.