I find this a versatile recipe. The fried meatballs can be served on its own with or without a dipping sauce, braised with winter melon or cabbage or cook as a soup. Here, I have choose to braise it.
The meatballs on its own are tasty, braised, the winter melon absorbs the flavours of the seasoning and gingery aroma of the meatballs.
300 gm pork with some fats - cut into small pieces
1 tbsp chopped ginger
1 stalk spring onions - chopped
Marinade for Meatballs
2 tbsp each of light soy sauce and cooking wine
dash of pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
Seasoning For Braising
1 tbsp each light soy sauce, wine and oyster sauce
dash of salt, msg and pepper to taste
150 ml water
200 gm winter melon - peeled and cut wedges
some chopped coriander leaves and red chillies
- Pulse meat pieces with ginger and the marinade several times. You can do it in batches if you are using a small blender.
- Scrape into a bowl, add in chopped spring onions and mix well into round. Leave to rest for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Shape into balls.
- Deep fry the meatballs until golden brown and cooked through. Drain and serve immediately with chilli sauce or set aside for braising or cook in soup.
- For braising - place fried meatballs, winter melon, seasoning and water in a pot. Bring to boil and simmer until winter melon is soft and water reduced.
- Dish up to serve. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and red chillies.