This is another version of white carrot pork ribs soup which I tried. Quite similar with my earlier posting on the soup [here].
In this recipe, the preparation is a little different with some additional ingredients like preserved cabbage [tung cai], ginger and wine. With these additional ingredients, this soup is tasty and more fragrant. If you like, before serving, you can sprinkle some chopped Chinese celery or spring onions.
Lovely, homey soup.
300 gm pork ribs - blanched in boiling water, rinsed
1 white carrot [can use those with or without leaves] - peeled and cut 1 cm thick slices
1/2 tbsp preserved cabbage [tung cai]
2-3 slices ginger
800 ml water
salt to taste
1 tbsp cooking wine [add before serving]
- Put sliced carrots and leaves in a container. Add in some stock or water. Cover and leave in freezer overnight.
- Before cooking, thaw carrots.
- Bring some water to boil in a soup pot. Add in ribs, thaw carrots and ginger to cook. Boil for about 10-20 minutes or until ribs are tender.
- Add in tung cai, boil for another 10 minutes. Taste before adding salt.
- Lastly, add in cooking wine. Off heat, scoop soup into soup bowl, sprinkle chopped celery or spring onions.
- Serve immediately.
Notes: Freezing carrots helps to shorten cooking time of carrots. Carrots will be tender faster.