Cooking this chicken is again a simple task yet the result is awesome. The Chef informed that this recipe is a diet version and it differs from the non-diet version only with the quantity of honey used. The non-diet version uses 4 times the amount of honey here.
This chicken dish is as delicious with the extra added flavours from star anise and ginger. Another great dish which I could prepare ahead during busy times for the family. Just need reheating before serving.
Recipe adapted from Chinese Cooking [Natural Recipes For Healthy Living] by Charmaine Solomon with modifications
[about 20 total grams carbohydrate]
2 large chicken thighs - halved [I used free range chicken, you can use meaty ones too]
1 star anise
1/2 tbsp each of grated garlic and ginger
1 tsp dark soy sauce
2-3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp cooking wine
250 ml water
some coriander leaves
1 tbsp oil
- Cut chicken into joints and dry them well on paper towels.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and brown the chicken on high heat on both sides. Push aside.
- Add in the ginger, garlic, star anise, soy sauce and honey. Stir well and turn the chicken pieces in the mixture.
- Add in water, bring to boil,cover with lid and simmer over low heat for 30-40 minutes until chicken is tender and water has thickened. Add some extra water if it's too dry before chicken is tender.
- Dish up to serve. Garnish with coriander leaves.