Easy to prepare yet it is a lovely, tempting curry. Tasty, aromatic and deliciously thick. Great with rice, fresh salads or cucumber raita.
For this recipe, there is no water added to cook the meat except for the moisture from the meat and coconut milk.
600 gm shoulder neck pork - cut chunky pieces or big cubes
1-2 sprigs curry leaves
1 onion - thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic - crushed
1 inch piece ginger - grated
2 tbsp cooking oil
2-3 tbsp meat curry powder
1/2 tbsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
80 ml coconut milk
- Mix all the powder ingredients in a small bowl [if you like, can add in some water to make a paste].
- Heat oil in a non stick pan, saute onions, garlic, ginger, curry leaves [for extra flavour, keep some to add in together with coconut milk] and salt. Stir well.
- Add in the pork slices and stir over medium heat until meat slices and firm and well coated with the paste. Keep stirring until oil separates. Cover the pan with lid and leave to cook for 20 minutes or until meat is tender. The meat pieces will be steam cooked with the juices from the meat.
- Stir in the coconut milk, cover to cook for another 10 minutes or until sauce is thick. Stir in remaining curry leaves.
- Dish up to serve with rice and cucumber raita [optional].