Nuffnang Ads

Followers

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

SWEET AND SOUR CLAMS

Recently, clams are in abundance and easily available at most wet markets in Penang.   This type of clams are my favourite and the last time I really enjoyed them was during my visit to Xiamen.  It has been quite awhile these clams are not easily available here, as most times the limited supplies go to seafood restaurants.
Initially, I was not too keen to buy them as I was afraid these could be from contaminated or polluted sea waters.  I starting buying them only after my hubby said, it is no harm having some occasionally. 

These clams are very fresh and reasonably priced.  When cooked, they are so fresh, meaty and I love the natural savoury sweetness of it.  Cooking these clams are quick and easy, just a good 5 minutes and you can get to enjoy them.  I have cooked them in soup [tomyam flavor] and this one is in sweet and sour sauce.  Really awesome!!!!.  You must try if clams are your favourite, too.
One Tip To Note - try to cook the clams soon after you bought them.
Ingredients
500 gm fresh clams – rinsed and soaked in clean water for 15-30 minutes, drain in colander
Some chopped spring onions
Seasoning Sauce
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp each black vinegar and wine
¼ tsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water

  1. Bring the seasoning sauce to a rolling boil in a claypot or pot.
  2. Add in the clams, stir to mix quickly and cover to cook for 3-5 minutes over high heat or until the clams open up.
  3. Thicken sauce with cornstarch water.
  4. Sprinkle some chopped spring onions, serve immediately.

No comments:

Nuffnang Ads

Blog Archive