Nuffnang Ads

Followers

Monday, July 4, 2016

BLACK PEPPER CHICKEN RICE POT

This is a hearty and fulfilling rice to fill up the tummy.  The recipe was shared in an old recipe cookbook, during the World Cup 2002 [my collection of cookbook magazine then] which is my selected cookbook for this month's Cookbook Countdown Event#7 - Home Cooking June 2002 issue].  There are numerous recipes for  One Dish Meals and snacks in this cookbook for football lovers to cook up and enjoy while watching the World Cup then.
This one pot rice is flavoursome and spicy from the black pepper seasoning which is a complete One Dish Meal for busy days as it can be prepared long before meal time.  I remembered I did prepare this rice then for my hubby who was busy watching the football matches...Ole..Ole..Ole.. 
This pot of rice is also a perfect dish for cold rainy nights with the addition of capsicum, onions and lots of ground black pepper.  This portion of recipe can be cooked using the rice cooker.  I steamed the rice as I only cooked half this portion here.
Ingredients
[serves for 3-4]
2 cups rice - washed and drained
2 deboned whole chicken legs - cut into bite size pieces
1 red and green capsicum - seeded, cut into bite size wedges
1 large onion - peeled and cut wedges
1 tbsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp oil
Seasoning
3 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1-2 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp ground black pepper
salt to taste if necessary
  1. Heat oil in wok, pan fry chicken pieces to brown a little.  Push aside, saute garlic until fragrant, add in the onions then the rice.  Stir to mix well the ingredients and seasoning.
  2. Add in the capsicum, stir to mix well.
  3. Pour contents into a rice cooker or steaming tray and add water enough to cook the rice.  Steam for 30 minutes or as normal with rice cooker. 
  4. Fluff up rice and serve hot.  Garnish with spring onions.
Notes: Should always over season the sauce a little bit more when for this rice.  The taste would be just nice after cooking.


I'm sharing this post with Cookbook Countdown Event #7 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray

6 comments:

Emily said...

Yum yum yummy I want I want yummmy

Phong Hong said...

Kimmy, this is a convenient rice dish to make and I know that it is very tasty. I have been eating too much rice lately, so am cutting back. But I will still try this recipe and eat just a small bowl hah..hah..hah...sure end up bog bowl!

kitchen flavours said...

One pot rice dish like this is a favourite in my house! I would eat it with slices of chili padi and see yau! Yummilicious!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, don't worry, just cook 1/2 this portion and give your partner a bigger portion. It would not be too much. That's exactly what I did.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, this is much easier cooked using the rice cooker. I suggest that you cook the rice first then add the fried chicken towards the last 10 minutes. This way the capsicum will be crunchy and looks bright green. I like this dish 'hot' too.

Sara Derocks said...

I like chicken dishes. Nice recipe i love to eat it.
Buy Halal Meat Online

Nuffnang Ads