Nuffnang Ads

Followers

Friday, April 18, 2014

Nyonya Huat Kuih

At most times, this kuih is required for prayers by Taoists, especially during Qing Ming Festival and Toaist Temples.  Huat' means prosper and offering 'Huat Kuih'  means prosperity.
Huat Kuih is also becoming expensive probably because not many people are making them at home due to time constraint [you need about 8 hours to ferment the batter] and because it is a must for certain kind of worship among the Chinese.  Not many people like myself would 'dare' to make this kuih because it must 'smile' when steamed otherwise you have failed  to make a good Huat Kuih.   I have been trying to find a workable/reliable recipe for this kuih using toddy [coconut wine] but unsuccessful.  Finally, I resort to buy the ready-mix Huat Kuih ingredients from a bakery store and the price is quite reasonable for the quantity that you can get from the portion.  All ingredients are packed with toddy and you just need to get coconut water and thick coconut milk.
Later I asked around and managed to get the ingredients and the quantity needed.  So here is the recipe for Huat Kuih which can 'smile' after steaming.  I used 3 1/2 inch bowl [makes about 15 pieces].  I was told for this size mould the steaming time is 25-30 minutes and smaller bowls  requires about 15-20 minutes steaming time.  The good tip about this kuih is that you can continue to steam the kuih until cooked after testing.
Small moulds - 15-20 minutes steaming time

3-3 1/2 inch mould - 25-30 minutes steaming time 
Ingredients
[number of pieces depends on the size of mould]
300 gm rice flour - sifted
200 gm castor sugar
300 ml toddy [coconut wine]
230 ml fresh coconut water
100 ml thick coconut milk
a small drop of rose pink colouring
1 tsp double action baking powder
  1. Place dry ingredients in a pot.  Stir in coconut water and toddy.
  2. Stir until sugar has dissolved.  Add in thick coconut milk and colouring.
  3. Cover and leave to rest for at least 8 hours [if under the sun, about 5 hours] until the batter is frothy.
  4. Steam moulds in a steamer for 5-10 minutes.
  5. Add baking powder, stir the batter to mix well, then pour batter into moulds until 3/4 full.
  6. Wipe cover and steam over high heat for 25-30 minutes [3-3 1/2 inch moulds] or 15-20 minutes for smaller moulds [make sure there is no water vapour condensation so that the kuih will 'smile' beautifully.
  7. Remove to cool  before dislodging kuih from mould.

26 comments:

Phong Hong said...

Hi Kimmy! Oh, takes 8 hours to ferment so you have to prepare in advance. All your Huat Kuih are smiling so considered a success!

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
Your huat kuih really smile prettily! Maybe one day I'll be confident enough to make this kuih!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, irrespective of the weather, it requires 8 hours. If you leave it under the hot sun, 5-6 hours or when the batter turns frothy then it is ready for steaming.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, can try it if you are prepared for the worst. It will still be cooked but maybe without the honeycomb texture. If so you can cut and pan fry them to golden brown. It's delicious.

Ann Low said...

Kimmy, You're a very patient person.
Your huat kuih look pretty and really 'huat'!

Veronica Ng said...

Kimmy your huat kuihs are all smiling prettily and very huat. I don't think I have the courage to try making these although very tempted.

Kimmy said...

Hi Ann, I mixed the batter in the morning and steamed the kuihs when I came back in the evening. It's like no waiting at all, hehehe! Still worthwhile when I calculated how much I need to pay for these if I were to get them from the Nyonya kuih seller.

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, I can understand, that's why I took so long to make them. We have been buying them for years.

Purple foods said...

A dish that takes at least eight hours? No wonder people don't make it so often.

Kimmy said...

Hi Purple Foods, it's only the waiting.

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

Hi Kim,
Thanks for sharing such valuable Huat kuih recipe, bookmarking it,and must try one day,thanks again.

Kimmy said...

Hi Aunty Young, it's worthwhile giving it a try.

Ping Ping said...

Hi Kimmy,It has been years I wonder where to get toddy.
When I was young,my mum used toddy to make huat kuih,it was wonderful nice.In Singapore I can't find it.
May I ask,where do you get the toddy?
Seeing your huat kuih,my saliva like dipping he...he...

Kimmy said...

Hi Ping Ping, I got the toddy from the shop selling baking items. They got it from the Toddy shop. We still have 2-3 Toddy shops in Penang. The toddy can be kept in the fridge. Keeps well for at least a week.

^blurange^ said...

Hi Kimmy, i would like to confirm with you if we put under the hot sun then only need to be about 5 hours rite? means after that 5 hours no need to bring in from the sun and keep it for the rest of the 3 hours to make all total 8 hours?

Also except those bakery shop and Toddy shop, where else can normally get Toddy? Do u mind to tell me Toddy in hokkien how is it call? Thanks and waiting for ur reply... :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Blurange, that's right but you can check the batter, if it is bubbly all over than it is ready for steaming. Toddy is is an alcoholic beverage created from the sap of various species of palm tree such as the palmyra, date palms and coconut palms. In Hokkien it is called 'Ya Tuak'. I don't know other places where this is sold.

^blurange^ said...

Hi Kimmy, thanks. And also I would like to ask if I don't put Toddy, will it be still okay? Or is it Toddy is a must? Or can it be replace with other things? Coz I asked few those Indian mini market also they don't even know what is toddy... So sad.... I don't know what else can be replace Toddy... Or do u have heard from any friends that happen to share with u that where they get Toddy....? It's really hard for me to find Toddy.... Goshh.... :(

Kimmy said...

Hi Blurange, where are you from? I only that in Penang Island, there are 2 outlets. One along Air Itam Road and the other is at the road adjacent to Pitt Street somewhere near the Goddess of Mercy Temple. I don't think there is a substitute for it unless you are making other kinds of huat kuih. It is the coconut wine, coconut milk and water that give this kuih the unique aroma.

^blurange^ said...

I'm from KL... Since u said that, sounds like nothing can be replaced.... I'm stil trying to look for it in KL here.... Hope I could get it ....

Kimmy said...

Hi Blurange, since you are in KL, perhaps you can try to find it at Sentul Pasar where most Indians reside. More Indians drink Toddy. If you can get it, it can be kept for up to 1 week in the fridge.

^blurange^ said...

Hi Kimmy.... Thank god... I found Toddy finally...!! I found it in those Chinese herbal shop... They sell it... After I found this Toddy, another ingredient give me problem.. I can't get "lek tau Hoon" (green bean powder)... Is this powder are in white of colour? Instead of green? Also is this "hoen Kwee" powder is the same as green bean powder? Coz I went to bakery shop and the ppl suggest me to use this "hoen kwee" powder... She told me this is also consider as green bean powder... But it's white in colour.... Is that right? And another bakery shop sell "Green Pea Powder"... Also, is this Green Pea Powder is the same as Green Bean Powder...?

Kimmy said...

Hi Blurange, glad you found it. There is no 'lek tau hoon' in this recipe. The names are different but it is actually hoon kwe flour. For the kuih the steaming in very important. Make sure the water vapour does not drop into the kuih, it will not smile beautifully.

Lim Peik Kee said...

Hi, Kimmy we have to mixed the ingredients together including the coconut milk won't it turn sour cos we leave it for 8 hours

Kimmy said...

Hi Peik Kee, I mixed everything with the coconut milk and leave it in my kitchen for 8 hours. It was okay. I double checked with the bakery store owner, she said she did it this way all the while, the batter is okay.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blurange, may I know which Chinese herbal shop you bought the Toddy in K.L. I live in Puchong area, having problem for years to find Toddy. Would appreciate if you can advise me the shop's name and its address, tqvm!

Kimmy said...

Hi Anonymous, I'm Kimmy. For the info on where to get Toddy in KL. Please check it out with blurange at her blog here [http://angelynangel.blogspot.com/].

Nuffnang Ads

Blog Archive