Nuffnang Ads

Followers

Friday, July 5, 2013

Tom Yum Pork Ribs [Tom Yum Gradoog Moo]

We usually think of seafood when it comes to cooking Tom Yum.  That is me.  I loved Tom Yum with seafood, mushrooms and young corns.  But when I came across this Tom Yum using pork ribs, I was quite curious on how the taste would be. Anyway, to kill my curiosity, I prepared this soup over the weekend and served it with a simple stir fried rice vermicelli [beehoon] with cabbage and mustard leaves [chai sim].  You can fry the noodles with the vege but I always like to add more vege to any dish especially when it is going to be a One Dish Meal.
This soup was very aromatic while boiling.  The nice aroma of the soup was from the boiling of pork ribs with lemongrass, galangal and shallots. Its wonderful tangy spicy taste was from the small chillies, fish sauce and lime juice [ratio of 1:1].  The final overall flavour was even better when kaffir lime leaves and coriander leaves were added before serving.  Make sure to off the heat before adding the lime juice otherwise the soup may have a bit of a bitter taste.
Not that difficult to prepare, yet you can get to enjoy an appetising soup.  You can adjust the spiciness by adjusting the quantity of small chillies used.
Ingredients - A
350 gm spare ribs/pork ribs
6 cups water
1 stalk lemongrass - lightly bruised
3-4 pieces thinly sliced galangal
1-2 shallots - halved
Ingredients - B
2 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
2 1/2 tbsp lime juice
3-4 Thai small chilli - red or green
4-5 kaffir lime leaves - remove the centre stem
2-3 sprigs cilantro/coriander - cut 1 inch length
  1. Blanch pork ribs to remove scums.  Rinse and drain.
  2. Boil pork ribs with water and remaining ingredients A until pork ribs are tender [this can be done a day ahead].
  3. Before serving, bring soup to a boil together with small chillies.  
  4. Off heat, then add rest of ingredients B.  Serve hot immediately.
Note:
For this soup the ratio of fish sauce to lime juice is 1:1.  
Asian Food Fest
I'm submitting this post to Asian Food Fest - November 2013  
hosted by Lena of Frozen Wings

18 comments:

Esther@thefussfreechef said...

Hi Kimmy, this soup sounds very appetizing, and i like the addition of pork ribs instead of seafood for a change. I've been on a light and sour diet lately to ease the system, so this is great. Will try hopefully this weekend.

Phong Hong said...

Kimmy, I am going to try this soup!

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

Hi Kimmy, I have never tried tom yam pork ribs before. This is interesting and thanks for sharing :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

sound very yummy!

Chef and Sommelier said...

Tom Yum pork ribs soup? Hmmm... Very interesting. Kimmy, like you, I'm really curious!

Thank you for trying this out and sharing the recipe with us!

Kimmy said...

Hi Esther, it is appetising and the soup wasn't oily like the usual pork ribs soup.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, you must try, but remember to add the lime leaves and juice after turning off the heat.

Kimmy said...

Hi Ivy, for a change is easy and yet good.

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, my hubby's first reaction to this soup was so rewarding for all the trouble. 'Hmmm...this is nice..so fragrant and aromatic.

Kimmy said...

Hi Alvin, I'm always curious with unusual ingredients in usual dishes. I told myself I must try.

Amelia said...

Hi Kimmy, your tom yam soup look appetizing but interesting to used pork ribs instead of seafood. Thanks for sharing.

Have a nice day.

Kimmy said...

Hi Amelia, thanks, I love this soup very much esp. in the preparation.

Cheah ~ No-Frills Recipes said...

This is very appetising. Can do with a 2nd helping of rice. Delicious!

kitchen flavours said...

This looks delicious! I could slurp on the soup clean!

Veronica said...

Mmmm must try this especially on cold and wintry days like these.

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheah, I didn't get to drink much of the soup cos' my hubby enjoyed it so much, I couldn't compete with him. He loves boiling hot soup, moreover it's very aromatic as you drink it.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, we finished it to the last drop, hehehe!

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, I agree this soup should be nice for cold nights and season.

Nuffnang Ads

Blog Archive