Nuffnang Ads

Followers

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Sri Lankan Spicy Curry Fish

Have seen several postings on Sri Lankan Spicy Curries with either seafood [fish or prawns] and meat [pork or chicken].  I have a recipe from  Curry and Comfort which uses pork  but here I'm using Lena's [Frozen Wings] recipe [with slight modification to suit my hubby's preference].   As I have some fish blocks in the fridge, I thought I should cook them first and maybe will prepare a meat curry the next time.

Lena doesn't fry the fish but cook it with the curry sauce but here I pan fried the mackerel slices until golden brown cos' my hubby prefers it this way.

The curry is good, very aromatic, sourish sweet and the gravy is quite thick.  I would definitely cook this again with either prawns, pork and chicken.
Ingredients
Curry Paste [mix other ingredients to blended onion and garlic together]
1 onion - blended
4 cloves garlic - blended
4 tbsp curry powder [I used fish curry powder]
2 tsp chilli powder [I used chilli boh] - for more spicy taste - increase the amount
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1/2 tsp fenugreek

4 tbsp oil
3 pieces Mackerel fish cutlets
1 onion - slice
a few sprig of curry leaves
2 tomatoes - quartered
50 gm tamarind pulp mix with 2 cups water [I used 1 heaped tbsp]
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
  1. Heat oil in pan, saute onions until brown and aromatic.  Add in curry paste and curry leaves.  Fry until oil separates.
  2. Add in tamarind juice and seasoning.  Bring to boil, add in fish slices now if they aren't fried and tomatoes.  Continue to boil until fish is cooked.
  3. Taste to adjust seasoning. If using fried fish, add them now, bring to a boil then off heat.
  4. Dish up to serve with rice.



10 comments:

Cheah ~ No-Frills Recipes said...

This curry looks good and it's without coconut milk. Bookmarked!

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

So yummy!

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheah, I love this curry and will be cooking with other meats, prawns and perhaps hard boiled eggs.

Kimmy said...

Hi Ivy, no complaints with this curry. Moreover, the gravy goes well fresh lady's fingers, cucumber and kacang botol.

Phong Hong said...

Kimmy, this curry has a very strong colour. Must be very spicy. So far I have not cooked fish curry. Can try this one soon.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, it's not spicy but very aromatic.

lena said...

i almost missed this post..sometimes i do fry my fish too in some curry dishes..i find that the meat wont get easily tear apart after frying during the cooking process. Looks wonderful !thanks for the link back kimmy!

Kimmy said...

Hi Lena, you're right. Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe.

Amila Wickramarachchi said...

This fish curry looks so good,sure it tastes so much!

Kimmy said...

Hi Amila, thanks for visiting me here. This curry recipe is a keeper. Give it a try and you may like it.

Nuffnang Ads

Blog Archive