Followers

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Chicken Curry with Yam

 
It's been awhile that I haven't really cook any kind of curry.  Missed curry chicken and looking for some different kind of curry.  Came across this simple curry chicken with YAM.  Was wondering how this two ingredients can blend together in a curry?   Hmm.. not that bad to me especially when I love yam and I can have this curry with less chicken and more yam, yum-yum.
Verdict - very simple and curry goes well with steaming hot rice, some vegetable salad and hmm...Papadum. I increased the curry powder by 1 tablespoon and added some pepper for more 'kick'.
Recipe Source - Yum Yum Magazine No. 48 [with slight modification]
Ingredients
[serves 3-4]
200 gm yam - cut into pieces
3 chicken thighs - cut into pieces [with or without skin]
1 big onion - chopped
2 stalks lemongrass - crushed
2-3 sprigs curry leaves
3 - 4 tbsp oil [use more if you want a brighter colour curry]
100 ml coconut milk
Seasoning
4 tbsp meat curry powder - add some water into a thick paste
1/2 tbsp chili boh [optional]
1 tsp each of  salt and sugar
1 tbsp each of  light soy sauce and oyster sauce
800 ml water or enough to cover the ingredients
  1. Heat up some oil to pan fry or deep fry yam until golden brown.  [I pan fried the yam pieces].   Push aside.
  2. Using the remaining oil [about 3-4 tbsp, saute onions until fragrant,  add lemongrass and curry leaves.  Stir fry until aromatic.
  3. Add in the curry powder/chili boh.  Fry until aromatic.  Add in the chicken.  Stir to mix well.
  4. Add in the seasoning and water.  Bring to boil.  Then add in the yam pieces.  All chicken to cook and yam is tender.
  5. Lastly pour in the coconut and cook for another 5 minutes.
  6. Dish up to serve with rice.
    I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #16 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
     photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg
       

8 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I love yam and this is my first time seeing yam in a chicken curry. But why not, right? If we can put potatoes or pumpkin in curry, yam should be acceptable too :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, you are right. Good quality yam is even more yummy.

Ivy Sew said...

Hi Kimmy, I remember seeing this recipe at Yum Yum too and was telling myself - something special and must try this. However, have totally forgotten about this until I see yours. Well, you have convinced me to cook this. Looks very yummy and yam is my favorite too. Warmest regards :)

QembarDelites said...

Hi Kimmy, I too seldom cook curry and even if I do, I usually buy the paste from the market to cut down on extra work....yours looks so creamy and delicious! First time I am seeing yam in chicken curry too.

Kimmy said...

Hi Ivy, there are many yummy recipes in Yum Yum. Use more oil to fry the curry powder for nicer colour.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, I was a bit lazy to make my own curry paste. This curry uses curry powder attracted my attention to cook it. Use more oil to fry the paste for nicer curry colour.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I love yam!!
But have never tried it in curry before, interesting! Like you, I would like more yam too!
Thanks for sharing with CYB!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, the yam tasted better when the curry has infused into it.