Followers

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Gongzai Mooncake 2014 [Vegetarian]

 

This recipe is given to me by the shop owner selling baking ingredients.  I noticed it is quite similar to Amy Beh's recipe [here] but her method is slightly different.  Her's does not require the syrup mixture to rest for several hours. This one has no baking soda added.  It's a workable and reliable recipe for Gongzai Mooncake Biscuit.
I used this dough to make 3 different figurine mooncake.   I used the centre of  the big mooncake mould to shape the figurine mooncake biscuit.  For one, I used store bought salted sweet lotus paste and melon seeds as filling.  No egg glaze is applied to these biscuits.

 
 
 
 
 
Figurine mooncake with lotus paste
 
 
 
Figurine mooncakes using the centre design of big mooncake mould
 
Figurine mooncake using the centre design of big mooncake mould
Verdict - easy to handle soft dough.   The colour tone is nice even though without egg glaze.
Ingredients
[makes  20 each the of the 2 designs and 8 pieces with filling mooncake]
600 gm plain flour - sifted [can use Rose flour]
450 gm golden syrup
180 gm peanut oil
8/10 tbsp alkaline water
For surface [I omit]
1 egg + 1 tbsp milk, mix well and strained

 
 
 
 
 

  1. In a mixing bowl, add in syrup, peanut oil and alkaline water. Stir mix until well combine.  
  2. Add in sifted flour and form dough. Cover the dough with a cloth and rest for at least 5 - 6 hours. 
  3. Divide the dough into portions that fits the mould you are using. Roll each into a ball. Dust mooncake mould with some flour [only necessary for the first mooncake, rest not necessary and the dough is oily enough it doesn't stick to the mould.
  4. Press the dough into mould. Tap lightly to unmould. Arrange in a baking tray. 
  5. For vegetarian version, bake mooncakes in preheated oven at 170 degrees C for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. 
  6. After allowing the mooncake to cool on a metal rack, it can be kept in an air-tight container. It can be kept up to weeks if it is dry enough after baking.
    Notes:  For non-vegetarian version, bake mooncakes in preheated oven at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes. Remove and leave to cool for about 10 minutes. Brush the top with beaten egg. Bake in oven again for another 10 - 15 minutes or until golden brown.
    Photobucket
    This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe
    I'm sharing this post  to Best Recipes for Everyone August 2014 Event Theme:Mooncake hosted by Fion of XuanHom’s Mom

    I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #15 hosted by
     Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
     photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg
       

14 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, very creative of you to use the centre of the big mooncake mould to shape the biscuits. They must be very nice to eat with a cup of coffee.

Baking Taitai said...

Another lovely 公仔饼 mooncake from you...now I can't decide which recipe to try..haha! Maybe I should try the peach doll one since it's got lotus paste added to the dough, should be tastier.

Fion said...

oh...these moon cakes look so mini,easy to eat ..hahaha

Thank for linking with best recipes^^

ann low said...

Hi Kimmy, I like all the cute designs! Good to hear that these gongzai mooncake no egg washing. :D

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, these mooncakes are good to munch on after airing for sometime. My mooncakes keep well over 1-2 months.

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheryl, I find there isn't much difference. Most important is these must be left to air - the longer the better for tasty gongzai peang. Morever these aren't that oily as store bought ones.

Kimmy said...

Hi Fion, makes lots of it enough for giveaways.

Kimmy said...

Hi Ann, it's long ago I don't brush the mooncakes with egg glaze. These are well accepted by my family and friends.

mui mui said...

Hi Kimmy,
I am glad to know that, this gai cai beng no need egg glaze and they turn nice and lovely.
Thanks for sharing such good recipe.
Happy Weekend :)

mui

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

Hi Kimmy I learnt yet another new thing - I didn't realise I can use the mould to make cookies too!

Kimmy said...

Hi Mui Mui, my MIL prefers these mooncakes without egg glaze.

Kimmy said...

Hi Diana, I promised myself not to buy anymore new mooncake moulds. So I have to make use of what I have...

Delphine said...

Hi Kimmy,

Lovely Gong Zai Biscuits, is the texture soft or crunchy and happy to know that it can be store for 1 - 2 months, thanks for sharing !

Kimmy said...

Hi Delphine, sorry for the late response cos' I was away on holiday at Xiamen, China. These doll mooncakes are soft after airing for several days. You can also keep them in airtight containers in the fridge. Tip - best to use golden syrup that is prepared months ahead if you intend to keep the mooncakes for longer time.