Followers

Monday, June 16, 2014

Poppy Seeds Cupcakes 罂栗籽杯蛋糕

Visit this site for Its' Nutrition Facts
This cupcake recipe is from Veronica's Kitchen. I have bookmarked to do long ago but didn't get down to do until this time when I saw Jessie's overnight muffin batter. I was wondering whether the overnight batter applies to cupcakes, too. So I gave it a try and it works, lol. With this method, I can get cupcakes fresh and fast anytime so long as I have the batter ready in the fridge.
I suppose this batter can also, be kept in the fridge for 12 to 36 hours as what Jessie has shared. Dare to try ??? I only dare to keep it for 12 hours, hehehe! That's overnight.



The cupcakes rose to a dome shape, soft and moist with a citrus aroma.  These are giveaways to my MIL.  As usual, it must be passed by my hubby cos' these are for his mother.  Verdict - Good and they are on its' way to my mother in-law's house.  How I wish it is 'thumbs down', then they will remain in my house for us to enjoy.   Anyway, I kept 2 cupcakes to see how it taste the next day.  Still good, very buttery, soft and moist.
These cupcakes are good as it is so I have omitted the lemon glazing as I wanted to make it just simple for my MIL.  
Recipe Source - Veronica's Kitchen
Ingredients
[makes 9-12 cupcakes]
150 gm butter - room temperature
100 g castor sugar
3 eggs - lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp grated lemon zest
150 gm self raising flour - sifted
2 tbsp poppy seeds
Optional Glazing
40 ml lemon juice
1 tbsp castor sugar
'hundreds and thousands" candy bits - garnishing
  1.  Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.  Line cupcake tray with paper liners.
  2. Beat butter until soft, add in castor sugar, beat until creamy [I used an electric hand mixer].
  3. Gradually add in beaten eggs and mix well.  Add in vanilla essence, lemon zest and flour.  Fold to combine, mix in poppy seeds.
  4. Scoop batter into cupcake liners until 80% full.
  5. Bake on middle rack for 15-18 minutes or until done.  Remove to cool or serve warm.




  6. Optional Glazing - heat lemon juice and castor sugar until the sugar dissolves.  Brush the syrup on the of the cakes.  Sprinkle candy bits on top, serve or you can dust some icing sugar over the cake.

Photobucket
I'm submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up June 2014 Event - Butter
 hosted by Jozelyn of Spice Up My Kitchen

10 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, thanks for your research hah..hah...Now I know can also do like that for cupcakes. So, how long do you take out from the fridge before baking? The batter has to be at room temperature before baking? I wanted so much to try this method because it is so convenient. But guess what? I don't even have time to prepare the overnight batter hah...hah...

Jozelyn Ng said...

Lovely cup cake...both you and Jessie make a right choice to do this...this recipe is definitely in my waiting list ^_^

Wish you could link this to LTU!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I took out the batter before I left the house for morning exercise. Should be about 1 hour. Preparing the batter is quite fast so long as you have the butter at room temperature. Really senang-lah

Kimmy said...

Hi Jozelyn, thanks for the invite. This is a keeper. I'm grateful to Jessie for sharing the tip on overnight batter, makes my baking life much 'easier', hehehe!

DG said...

This recipe on my baking list too, because I can see how convinient to prepare the batter in advance, and just need to bake it the next morning. I can't wait to bake it for breakfast when my boys back to school next month.

Kimmy said...

Hi DG, my expectations are always high and this recipe hasn't failed. Next time, I'll try more overnight batter for cupcakes to see whether it works as well.

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy, thanks for sharing your research. Looks like you've the "hang of using overnight batter" hee hee. Oh the cupcakes are lovely ^-^!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

ya the overnight batter sound easy when we do the proper planning ahead. But if last minutes want to bake, this recipe can't be used liao..hehehe..

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, this method is useful for busy person like me. Always out of the house until evening, lol.

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, the original recipe is not overnight batter. I was just trying out to see if overnight batter method works for this recipe. You can mix and bake it straightaway.