Followers

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My Daily Home-baked White Bread

This bread is so good and I'm 'proud' to show more photos of it, hehehe!   Interested to know the recipe, continue reading otherwise skip this page.
Heard my friends saying, bread prices have gone up again.  Thought to myself. thank God, I bake my own bread, so not too bad.   After all, my family is so used to home-baked bread and it is definitely worthwhile to bake at home moreover I have in hand this reliable bread recipe.  Usually I baked wholemeal bread loaves [My Daily Home-baked Bread Loaf - Wholemeal] but just before CNY, I ran short of wholemeal bread flour so I baked this white bread.  Surprisingly, it was so good [soft, moist and fluffy light] and I thought it would be good to share it here eventhough it is said to be 'not too healthy' bread.  Once in awhile should be alright-lah.  Similar bread loaf recipe just replace the wholemeal bread flour with bread flour.
Who can resist this lovely home-baked bread?
Ingredients
[makes 2 loaves x 600 gm or 24 slices of 1.5 cm width]
600 gm bread flour
100 gm plain flour
2 tbsp milk powder [I omit]
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp sugar [I used brown sugar]
6 tsp instant yeast
1 egg 
380 ml water [or egg + water = 410 ml]
60 gm butter
  1. Knead all dough ingredients [except butter and water] on slow speed to combine.  Add in water gradually as you may need less than 380 ml because of the egg.   Continue kneading on medium speed until dough is soft and smooth [about 7-10 minutes].
  2. Add in butter and continue kneading on low speed from the start then turn to medium speed [Kenwood mixer - speed 3] when butter and dough has combined.  Knead for about 5-7 minutes until smooth, elastic and dough is not sticky.
  3. Form dough into a ball.  Place in a bowl covered to rest for 20 minutes or double in size.
  4. Punch down rested dough.  Divide into 2 equal portions.  Round up into a ball.  Fold into thirds then roll each portion into a long rectangle.   Roll up like swiss roll and seal the edges well.    Place the  loaves in greased Pullman's tins.
  5. Leave in oven to proof until double in size [about 1 hour or rise over the rim of the baking tin].
  6. Bake in preheated oven at 150 degrees C for 40 minutes.  Remove and cool on wire rack. 

Notes: Visit this site For Its' Nutritional Facts [here]

14 comments:

Victoria Bakes said...

Oh yes , it looks really soft and fluffy! Cannot resist bread like this!

QembarDelites said...

Wow! Your loaves rise so high! I too wish to bake some bread now that the frenzy baking for festive season is over:D

PH said...

Kimmy, I really salute you for baking your own bread. I used to love white bread (I still do actually) but had switched to wholemeal. I have not eaten bread for sometime now.

Veronica's Kitchen said...

Kimmy, just simply love your white breads. They look soft and fluffy. I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Kimmy said...

Hi Victoria, this bread was baked using just a small portable oven. If using the big built-in oven, the brown crust is more even and nice.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, it's worthwhile to bake this portion if your family takes bread often.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, having bread for breakfast is so convenient for us.

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, honestly I can't believe I can bake such lovely bread loaves in my own kitchen. Try it, I think you will be happy with the outcome, too.

Veronica said...

Wow, such soft and fluffy bread. Actually I love white bread too but only eat it once in a while. Now I am tempted to make bread again.

Unknown said...

Your bread look so soft. Your family sure won't miss the bakery shop bread :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica Ng, so far the outcome of this recipe is always satisfactory [I baked 4 loaves a week].

Kimmy said...

Hi Vivian, if your family can take bread slices often, it's worth baking your own.

mettateoh said...

Kimmy, I really tabik you for taking so much trouble to bake bread for your family. Your bread looks so nice, soft and fluffy.
I bake once in a while only as I am the only one who likes to eat bread. I am too lazy.......I use a bread maker. Dump all the ingredients and wait for about 3-4 hours for the beep sound that the bread is ready.

Kimmy said...

Hi Metta Teoh, by having bread for breakfast, we ensure that the family eats this meal together, a time to connect.