Followers

Friday, February 14, 2014

Lemon Poppy Seeds Rice Flour Chiffon

My first Lemon Rice Flour Chiffon [see recipe] was so satisfying with thumbs up from Doreen's family.  The cake rose perfectly tall and texture wise spongy and moist, taste wise - tangy and sweetness was just nice.
This makes me to decide that I should bake another piece for my family.  For a change, I added some poppy seeds.  The cake is as good as the first.  I replaced the sugar and milk with 2 tablespoon condensed milk dissolved in 45 ml hot water.
Before this posting, I have baked the similar cake several times and all turned out very well.  It's a keeper.
Ingredients For Egg Yolk Mixture
[use 19 cm or 7 1/2 inch tube pan]
5 egg yolks [I used size A eggs]
15 gm castor sugar [I used 1 tbsp] - omit if using condensed milk
40 ml corn oil
15 ml lemon juice and zest
45 ml milk [I used 2 tbsp condensed milk dissolved in 45 ml hot water]
60 gm cake flour [I used superfine flour]
30 gm rice flour
1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients For Egg White Mixture
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar [optional]
45 gm castor sugar [I used 3 tbsp]
2 tsp poppy seeds
  1. Sieve both flours together and mix in the salt.
  2. Separate egg yolks and whites into 2 separate bowls.
  3. Beat egg yolks and sugar until creamy, drizzle in oil and lemon juice/zest. Beating mixture as you drizzle in the oil and milk juice until well blended.
  4. Fold in sifted flours and mix until well combined.  Stir in poppy seeds.
  5. Preheat oven at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes.
  6. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy, add in the cream of tartar [if using].    Continue whisking and add in sugar in 3 batches.  Whisk until soft to stiff peaks.
  7. Fold lightly 1/3 portion of the egg white into the egg yolk mixture until well combined.    Then mix with the remaining egg white.  Fold until well combined.
  8. Pour batter into a 19-20 cm [7 & 1/2 inch] tube pan.   Shake a little to smooth out the batter and tap pan a few times on table top to release trapped air.
  9. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
  10. Remove from oven and invert immediately to cool cake before slicing.
  11. Use a slim spatula to run around the edge of the pan and around the tube to dislodge cake before slicing cake.
Notes: Visit this site for It's Nutritional Facts [here]
I'm sharing this post with Little Thumbs Up February 2014 Event - Chiffon Cake hosted Grace Phua of  Life Can Be Simple
Little Thumbs Up

18 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I was thinking of baking pandan chiffon this weekend but I think I will try this instead. It so happen that I have some leftover condensed milk in the fridge. Perfect!

Victoria Bakes said...

this cake looks so cottony.. love all your lemon bakes

Veronica said...

Another great chiffon from you again. Well done!

Ivy Sew said...

Hi Kimmy, wow, poppy seeds chiffon. Sounds interesting and from the look of it, it's super yummy :)

Kimmy said...

Thanks Victoria, I love lemon flavour cakes - very refreshing feel and it's so light.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, this is simpler and healthier without coconut milk.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Veronica, so far no complaints from the recipients of my giveaway cakes, hehehe!

Kimmy said...

Hi Ivy, with poppy seeds, value added - looks better with the black spots.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I have never bake a chiffon using rice flour, next time I must try out. About BKT, just go ahead to publish it so your readers also can learn and cook it.

Amy Baking Diary said...

Hi Kimmy, Lemon cake is so refreshing. I love it too! Wondering how does it taste like with poppy seed... Will try it out one day.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Sonia, I go ahead with it. I learned it from Vivian - her chiffon cake with rice flour is good.

Kimmy said...

Hi Amy, no taste difference to me but the cake does look better with it [ppl wondering what are these black spots esp. the non-bakers].

Unknown said...

Amy, your lemon poppy seed chiffon cake looks so so soft and 'boing boing'!!! It's really amazing to think that rice flour can produce such soft and fluffy cakes. You really getting me interested to try out rice flour chiffon cakes :) Beautiful cake!! Thanks for participating in LTU!

Kimmy said...

Hi Grace, I'm Kimmy not Amy, hehehe!. Thanks for hosting this month's LTU Event on Lemon. I check out your post for more lemon recipes.

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

I remember seeing your previous cake with rice flour. Yeah... I'm fully convinced that this recipe is a keeper :D

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Yes Zoe, I like it so much that I have already baked the same several times.

Betty said...

Bake one . Great texture n taste great. Thks. for the recipe.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Betty for trying and your positive feedback. It's great inspiration for me to share more reliable recipes.