Followers

Friday, February 21, 2014

Klang Bak Kut Teh 吧生瓦煲肉骨茶

My hubby loves Bak Kut Teh [Pork Ribs Tea] and he loves the Bak Kut Teh he tried at Kota Bharu.  He would even invite friends to join him for the trips just to savour the various Bak Kut Teh there.   On his most recent trip there with a Spanish couple, he told me that the Bak Kut Teh was not up to his expectation. Then I remembered Sonia's post in December 2013 on Klang Claypot Bak Kut Teh which looks so good that I have bookmarked to try.   In her recipe, she took the trouble to show us the breakdown of the various herbs used. If you are one [like myself] who usually keeps some of the common herbs in the kitchen, it is worth to gather them and cook this Bak Kut Teh for your family.  Honestly, I didn't follow every part of the whole recipe but I found the Bak Kut Teh soup itself good [tasty and aromatic].  I wouldn't mind preparing this tasty soup which is quite easy.
Below is the recipe copied from Sonia's Blog - Nasi Lemak Lover which was well written and easy to follow that I wouldn't want to change it even though I didn't do the following.
- pork ribs and pork 
- the fragrant garlic oiled rice [cos' my hubby doesn't like fried garlic oil]
- beancurd sheets, button mushrooms, Chinese cruellers [Yu Char Koay], fried shallots - I omit
Here, I wish to thank Sonia for this lovely recipe as I like the idea of gathering all the pieces of herbs together and know what is in this Klang Bak Kut Teh.  Next time if I do prepare the soup, I will try to reduce the water to make a more intense version.  I believe it should be good.

If you are interested in this Claypot Klang Bak Kut Teh, do hop over to Nasi Lemak Lover to see Sonia's posting.   The photos on the herbs and other ingredients should be very helpful.
Klang Claypot Bak Kut Teh (Pork Ribs Tea) 吧生瓦煲肉骨茶
*serves 5-6pax

Chinese Herbs to put into a muslin filter pouch
3 sticks Tong Sun党参
BKT1 copy1 slice Gui Picinnamon skin)桂皮
10 slices Gui Zhi(cinnamon sticks)桂枝
1pc Chen Pi (sun-dried tangerine peel)陳皮 
45g Yu Zhu/ Yok Chok玉竹
2 sticks Gan Cau甘草 
3 slices Chuan Xiong川芎
1pc Shu Di熟地 
1 stick Niu Qi牛七
3 slices Don Gui当归
1/2tsp White peppercorn白楜椒
1/2tsp Black peppercorn黑楜椒
1/2tsp Hua Jiao花椒
1/2tsp Fennel seeds小茴香
1tsp Goji /Wolfberries枸杞
1kg pork ribs, blanch in hot water, set aside
2.5lts water
1 honey date蜜枣
2 roasted whole garlic黑蒜头
2tbsp light soy sauce
2tbsp dark caramel soy sauce
Salt to taste
3 star anise
Method

  1. Bring water to boil in a big pot. Soak herbs pouch in hot water for 5mins. Discard water.
  2. Add in herbs pouch, honey date and garlic, boil for 15mins
  3. Add in pork ribs, season with light soy sauce, simmer over medium low heat for 30mins.
  4. Add in dark caramel soy sauce and adjust taste with salt, continue to boil for 15mis. Bak Kut Teh now is ready to enjoy with rice or keep for next step (cook with claypot).
Fragrant garlic oiled rice
4 cups uncooked rice, wash and clean
5 and 1/2cups water (or adjust according to the type of rice that you use)
1 tsp salt
½ bulb garlic, chopped
4 tbsp cooking oil
Method
  1. Fry garlic in cooking oil till golden brown.
  2. Add rice in a rice cooker, add in garlic oil, water and salt, cook the rice.
To prepare Clay pot Bak Kut Teh
120 gm tofu puff
2 sheets bean curd sheets (tau ki), tear pieces, soaked in water to soften and deep fried
Green lettuce
5 shiitake mushrooms, sliced 
½ can of button mushroom, sliced
Condiments
Yau Char Kwaior or yautiou油条 (strips of fried dough)
Light soy sauce and chili padi (small chilies) dipping sauce
Fried shallots
Method

  1. Scoop some Bak Kut The (meat and soup) into a clay pot. Add in tofu puff, fried bean curd sheets, Shiitake mushroom slices and button mushroom sliced, bring to boil and cook for 2-3mins.
  2. Top with green lettuce, serve hot with fragrance garlic oiled rice that top with fried shallots. Dip Yau Char Kwai with Bak Kut Teh soup and dip meat with light soy sauce and chili padi dipping sauce. Enjoy !!
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

9 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I love BKT! I use the ready mix packet from the supermarket because I am not familiar with the component herbs.

Baby Sumo said...

I've never made BKT from scratch, usually I just use sachet form, but it's good to know what goes into it! :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, my hubby never likes BKT using the ready mix. He kept telling me something is missing in the taste. With this one, he didn't comment what is missing.

Kimmy said...

Hi Baby Sumo, must thank Sonia for her generosity to share this recipe. I did cook a vegetarian version earlier and my friends were very pleased with it.

Kimmy said...

Hi Baby Sumo, must thank Sonia for her generosity to share this recipe. I did cook a vegetarian version earlier and my friends were very pleased with it.

QembarDelites said...

Hi Kimmy, I am in Klang and BKT restaurants are available at every corner of the streets literally lol! So not necessary for me to cook but nice to make an effort every blue moon I guess…nice take on the recipe…full of goodness!

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, I know Klang people can have BKT for 3 meals a day. My cousin is a BKT seller but the soup is not up to my hubby's expectation. So when I come across BKT recipes, I'll try them to get the one that can satisfy our tastebuds, hehehe! Enjoy your BKT in Klang, Jeannie.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmy,

If you happen to know where to get Hua Jiao? I am frm Penang but dunno where to get it.
Thanks.
Shirlynn

Kimmy said...

Hi Shirlynn, you can get it from Chinese medical shops or some big grocery stalls. It is very cheap, you can get it for RM 1.