This dish [Bak Kwa Fried Rice] is inspired by Wiffy of Noob Cook. I told myself, I'll try this fried rice when I can get hold of some Bak Kwa [Pork Jerky] this Chinese New Year. My brother in-law from Singapore came back with some Bak Kwa and I like the whole piece type [streaky pork]. I kept some for this fried rice. The fried rice is yummylicious and not difficult to prepare at all.Do visit this site for the recipe.
Recipe Source - [Noob Cook - Bak Kwa Fried Rice]
400 gm cooked rice [1 cup uncooked rice cooked with 1 cup water] - refrigerated overnight
4 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
4 shallots - peeled and finely chopped - I omit
3/4 cup frozen vegetables - thawed [I omit]
50 gm shelled prawns [I used more cos' there was lots of it left after CNY]
80 gm Bak Kwa - cut with scissors to small bite sized squares [I used streaky pork type]
2 eggs - beaten and seasoned with 1/4 tsp light soy sauce and white pepper
2 tbsp cooking oil
1/4 cup chopped spring onions [I used more]
salt and white pepper to taste [I add some light soy sauce to taste]
2 pieces of cheddar cheese slices - cut into thick strips [optional if baking the fried rice before serving]
- Heat oil in wok, fry prawns until firm - dish up.
- Using the same oil, stir fry shallots [if using] and garlic until fragrant.
- Add in rice and thawed vegetables [if using]. Stir fry for a minute until well mixed.
- Pour in the egg , stir fry on high heat until the egg is semi dry. Add the fried prawns and bak kwa. Stir briefly until the egg is just cooked. Add in seasoning to taste.
- Lastly add in spring onions and stir thoroughly to mix evenly. Dish up to serve immediately.
Notes: Visit this site for It's Nutritional Facts [here]Here, I fried the rice according to the recipe, dish up onto a casserole dish. Before serving, I place some strips of cheddar cheese slices on top of the fried rice and baked at 150 degrees C for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and slightly browned. Hmm! Hmm! Hmm! the rice was so fragrant and tasty. Sweetness from the pork jerky and savoury taste from the cheese. A very satisfying fried rice meal.
This fried rice was served with a simple crunchy salad - shredded carrot, cucumber and thinly sliced onions.
- season shredded vegetables with some salt for several minutes. rinse with boiled cold water, drain in a colander.
- place vegetables in a big bowl, heat some oil and sesame oil until hot, pour over vegetables and mix well. Serve immediately or chill in the fridge until required.