Followers

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Braised Pork Belly with Arrowhead [Ngaku]

This is an easy dish to prepare yet delicious  served with steaming hot rice.  Just with 2 main ingredients [pork belly and ngaku] and some seasoning, wow! it's great dish which tasted better with reheating.
I used boiled pork belly that is rubbed with some dark soy sauce.  You can use fresh pork belly too.  In fact, the boiled pork belly was used for ancestral worship on CNY eve.   Save them to cook this dish after prayers.
Ingredients
[serves 5-6]
300 gm pork belly [with skin] - blanched in boiling water for 10 minutes - rinsed, cut bit size pieces
8 pieces arrowhead [ngaku] - skinned and quartered
1-2 stalks spring onions - separate the white and green part
2 cm piece ginger - sliced
Seasoning to taste
light soy sauce, cooking wine, pepper, rock sugar
salt and enough water
  1. Fry ngaku with some oil until browned.  Dish out and remove excess oil.
  2. Using the same wok, fry pork belly pieces until brown.  Push aside and remove excess oil.
  3. Add in the ginger and white part of  spring onions until fragrant.  Push back the meat, add in fried ngaku and remaining onions.
  4. Fry for a while and add in the seasoning, one after another.  Lastly, add in  water enough to cover meat.
  5. Let it boil then reduce heat, cover to simmer for about 40 minutes or until meat is tender and gravy is slightly thickened.
  6. Taste to adjust seasoning.  Serve hot with rice.
Notes: Visit this site for Its' Nutritional Facts [here]
PS: this dish was prepared at my mother in-law's house - too busy to take step by step photos on how the dish was prepared and cooked.   But it is good eventhough I just 'agak-agak' the seasoning.

8 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, this dish I know I will love! So far I haven't tried nagku cooked in dishes yet.

Lite Home Bake said...

Hi Kimmy,
This looks delicious! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Jozelyn Ng said...

This is what my mum like to cook last time but this 2 years I find that she substitute pork belly with roast pork.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, braised ngaku tasted sweeter than potatoes and it has a unique fragrance.

Kimmy said...

Hi Lite Home Bake, it tasted more tasty after resting for 1-2 days.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jozelyn, should be good too but have to reduce the light soy sauce cos' roasted pork could be salty.

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

Yum! I think I must take extra bowl of rice! Ha............

Kimmy said...

Hi Aunty Young, frankly it was good that I didn't encourage my family to eat them so I can have more share, hehehe!