Followers

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wholegrain Raisin Loaf Bread

This is a good healthy bread recipe.  The loaves stays soft even for next 3-4 days.  Especially like the bite of  the walnuts.  Eaten as it is or with  slices of cucumber and cheese or toasted and spread with butter, there shouldn't be any complaints for a breakfast meal or light snack or lunch.
 

Ingredients
[makes 1 big loaf or 2 small loaves in Pullman's tin]
250 gm bread flour
250 gm wholemeal flour
20 gm milk powder
50 gm brown sugar or 40 gm brown sugar and 1 tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
2 tsp instant yeast
320 ml water
50 gm butter
50 gm raisins [soak for 5 minutes]
50 gm toasted walnuts - chopped
  1. Knead all dough ingredients [except butter, raisins and walnuts] on slow speed to combine.  Add in water gradually,  continue kneading on medium speed until dough is soft and smooth [about 7-10 minutes].
  2. Add in butter and continue kneading on low speed from the start then turn to medium speed when butter and dough has combined.  Knead for about 5-7 minutes until smooth, elastic and dough is not sticky.
  3. Add in raisins and walnuts.  Knead until well incorporated.
  4. Form dough into a ball.  Place in a bowl covered to rest for 40 minutes or double in size [usually is less than 1 hour depending on temperature of the day].
  5. Punch down rested dough.  Divide into 2 equal portions [you can bake as 1 loaf].  Round up into a ball.  Fold into thirds then roll each portion into a rectangle.   Roll up like swiss roll and  seal the edges well.    Place the  loaves in greased Pullman's tins.
  6. Leave in oven to proof until double in size [about 1 hour/rise to 80% of the baking tin for 1 loaf] or in a heated oven at 40 degrees C for 45 minutes.
  7. Bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees C for 25-30 minutes.  Remove and cool on wire rack.  


14 comments:

Esther@thefussfreechef said...

Hi Kimmy, i noticed you put equal amount of wholemeal flour to bread flour, i normally just use 100g of wholemeal flour. Yes, adding the raisins and nuts make it so nice, even on its own yea.

PH said...

Kimmy, nowadays I prefer wholemeal bread. Very tempted to try this recipe even though no experience in baking bread.

kimmy said...

Hi Esther, yes it's equal amount of both flours but the texture was good. A little crusty cos' I baked 2 small loaves and didn't shorten the baking time. Next time I'll bake in 1 Pullman's tin.

kimmy said...

Hello PH, just go ahead, bake it. I know you can do it well.

Alice said...

yummy kind of bread, I like :)

kimmy said...

Hi Alice, by the look, I thought I wouldn't want to bake this bread again but after eating it, I changed my mind. I will definitely bake it again.

Unknown said...

May I know if I can use this recipe on breadmaker? Thanks.

kimmy said...

Hi Magdeline, I supposed you can but I like to advise that the raisins and walnuts to be added later just before the proofing. Happy trying.

Unknown said...

Ok, thanks Kimmy.

Anonymous said...

Kimmy, how many gm of butter?

kimmy said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks for the highlight. I used 50 gm butter.

Unknown said...

I just saw this recipe I will try to bake one tonight ,thank you for sharing

Unknown said...

Hi Kimmy thank you for sharing this recipe, I will try to make one tonight. Let you know about it than.

Kimmy said...

Hi Gaik Khor, this is a lovely bread. Do try and let me know if you like it.