Sudden crave for steamed chicken and the fragrant buttery chicken rice with the nice aroma of ginger. So this is my simple version of chicken rice for the family over the weekend. Not the best compared with others cos' the quantity is really small but we enjoyed the meal very much. The steamed chicken was so tender and sweet.
3 chicken maryland [keep whole with skin] - cleaned*
- Place chicken in a steaming plate. Steam for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove and soak in cooled water. Drain and cut into bite size pieces. Serve with sliced cucumber, sauce and shredded spring onions, chicken rice and dipping chilli sauce.
1 1/2 cups rice - washed and drained
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 knob of ginger - smashed lightly
2 pandan [screwpine] leaves - washed and knotted
1/2 tbsp margarine
salt to taste
- Saute chopped garlic and ginger with margarine until brown and aromatic.
- Add in rice, stir fry and transfer to rice cooker or steaming tray.
- Add in the rest of ingredients and enough water to cook rice.
- Fluff up rice before serving with steamed chicken.
1-2 cloves garlic - skinned keep whole
1-2 shallots - skinned keep whole
1 tbsp oyster sauce to taste
1 tsp sugar to taste
50 ml chicken stock from steaming or boiling of chicken
1 tsp oil
1 tsp cornflour mix with a little water
- Saute garlic and shallots in oil until fragrant. Add in oyster, sugar and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and thicken with cornstarch. Pour over cut chicken before serving [can prepare this after cooking the chicken].
Chilli Sauce for Dipping
1-2 red chillies - cut small pieces
2 cm piece ginger - cut small pieces
a pinch of salt to taste
4-5 tbsp hot chicken stock from cooking of the chicken
Juice of 1 lime
- Blend chilli with ginger and mix in with the remaining ingredients [you may want to bring it to a boil if preparing it earlier].
- Serve chilli sauce with steamed chicken and rice.