Followers

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Steamed Chicken Rice

Sudden crave for steamed chicken and the fragrant buttery chicken rice with the nice aroma of ginger.  So this is my simple version of chicken rice for the family over the weekend.   Not the best compared with others cos' the quantity is really small but we enjoyed the meal very much.  The steamed chicken was so tender and sweet.
Ingredients
[serves 3]
Steamed Chicken
3 chicken maryland [keep whole with skin] - cleaned*
  • Place chicken in a steaming plate.  Steam for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
  • Remove and soak in cooled water.  Drain and cut into bite size pieces.   Serve with sliced cucumber, sauce and shredded spring onions, chicken rice and dipping chilli sauce.
*Note - can steam chicken with a few slices of ginger and some cut spring onions too for more aromatic chicken flavour.
Chicken Rice
1 1/2 cups rice - washed and drained
1 tbsp chopped garlic 
1 knob of ginger - smashed lightly
2 pandan [screwpine] leaves - washed and knotted
1/2 tbsp margarine
salt to taste
  • Saute chopped garlic and ginger with margarine until brown and aromatic.
  • Add in rice, stir fry and transfer to rice cooker or steaming tray.  
  • Add in the rest of ingredients and enough water to cook rice.
  • Fluff up rice before serving with steamed chicken.

Sauce for Steamed Chicken
1-2 cloves garlic - skinned keep whole
1-2 shallots - skinned keep whole
1 tbsp oyster sauce to taste
1 tsp sugar to taste
50 ml chicken stock from steaming or boiling of chicken
1 tsp oil
1 tsp cornflour mix with a little water
  • Saute garlic and shallots in oil until fragrant.  Add in oyster, sugar and chicken stock.  Bring to a boil and thicken with cornstarch.  Pour over cut chicken before serving [can prepare this after cooking the chicken].  

Chilli Sauce for Dipping
1-2 red chillies - cut small pieces
2 cm piece ginger - cut small pieces
a pinch of salt to taste
4-5 tbsp hot chicken stock from cooking of the chicken
Juice of 1 lime
  • Blend chilli with ginger and mix in with the remaining ingredients [you may want to bring it to a boil if preparing it earlier].
  • Serve chilli sauce with steamed chicken and rice.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

My family love chicken rice too. After looking at yours thinking to cook this weekend :)

kimmy said...

Hi Vivian, looking at this post today reminds me of how much we enjoyed this meal. I didn't prepare the ginger paste cos' I'm the only one in the family who likes it.

Amelia said...

Hi Kimmy, I love your chicken rice, look extremely good. The chicken is so silky smooth... I need 2 plates of rice please. :))

Have a nice day.

Esther@thefussfreechef said...

I was just thinking of hainanese chicken rice for lunch today, this is a sign tat i need to eat this soon haha.

kimmy said...

Hi Amelia, it's nice cos' my family finished everything without complaints. Guess they must have missed it, too.

kimmy said...

Hi Esther, occasionally a good choice of food for a meal. I didn't regret cooking it as I really enjoyed the smooth, juicy chicken and fragrant rice.

PH said...

Kimmy, chicken rice is my favourite! Aiyo, after seeing your chicken rice I also feel like want to eat :) I must try your sauces. You know, I don't know how to chop chicken properly. Hah! Hah!

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, surprisingly these 2 sauces tasted good and goes well with the rice and chicken. I chopped the chicken just because I wanted to take some photos on how the chicken meat looks like, otherwise I won't bother to chop it up [less washing...]