Followers

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Curry Powder Chicken Curry


Was at a friend's place sometime back and was attracted to a very nice aroma of curry so similar to the 'Nasi Kandar' curry and asked her whether it is the neighbour cooking the curry.  She told me it is her husband.  Since I love trying hot spicy curries, I asked her for the recipe.  Her husband happily told me, "It's just a simply chicken curry using only curry powder and this is the brand.  I found it at Tesco Store".  He told me to add cardamons for added 'kick' to the curry.
Here's the recipe and the brand that he shared with me.

Ingredients
[serves 2-3]
Curry Paste
1 big onion [or 50 gm shallots]
1 tomato
30 gm ginger
3-4 cloves garlic
3 tbsp AI brand meat curry powder [you can try other brands]
  • Blend the first 4 ingredients together, then mix with curry powder.  Set aside.
300 gm chicken thighs [de-skined and cut to bite size pieces] - marinate with a little tumeric powder and 1/4 tsp salt
1 big russet potato - skinned and cut into wedges [can omit and replace with another chicken thigh]
3cm piece cinnamon stick
2 cardamons
50 ml plain yoghurt [or 30ml coconut milk]
200 ml water
4 tbsp oil
salt and sugar to taste
  1. Heat oil in wok, saute cinnamon stick, cardamons and curry paste until aromatic.
  2. Add in the marinated chicken.  Stir fry for awhile to mix well with the paste.
  3. Add in potatoes.  Continue to stir fry until chicken is quite firm.  Add in water.  Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
  4. Add in salt and sugar to taste.  When potatoes and chicken are soft and tender, add in yoghurt or coconut milk.
  5. Bring it to a boil again and dish out to serve with plain white rice or steamed bread slices.

Note
-  this curry is even more flavourful after several hours or kept overnight.
-  add 1-2 chilli padi when blending paste for hotter curry

I'm sharing this post with The Spanish Wok, TSK Butler Soup Kitchen Monthly blogger event October 2012 in conjunction with World Food Day.
Photobucket
and I'm also submitting this post to Carole's Chatter for the Friday's theme on 'Curries'
 
on

4 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I really like this curry! I learnt something new, to blend the onions, garlic, ginger and tomato before mixing with curry powder. Normally I fry the onions, garlic and then add the curry paste.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I'm always looking for shortcuts to make things easier without compromising its' taste. With easy ways hope more people will cook their own food for their families [esp. nuclear families]

Carole said...

Hi there! Tomorrow's Food on Friday is all about curries! It would be great if you popped by and linked this in. Cheers

Kimmy said...

Hi Carole, thanks for informing. I'll do.