Followers

Monday, July 16, 2012

Preserved Mustard Green and Tofu Soup [Kiam Cai Tofu Soup]


After my successful attempts of brining mustard greens 'kiam chai' [recipe here] , so it's time to cook them.  This is also one of our favourite soups when we visit the 'Chu Char' stall.  A simple version of soup quite similar in taste to the famous 'Kiam Chai Ark' but of course without the duck, pig trotter and less oily.  I supposed this is a healthier version and you can also add seafood [prawns, fish fillet and squids etc] according to your preference.

Ingredients
[serves 2-3]
50 gm preserved green mustard [kiam chye] or 1-2 leaves - rinsed, cut 1 inch lengths
50 gm meat - sliced thick pieces
1 piece tofu - cut into 6 cubes
1 tomato - cut wedges
some red carrot slices - optional
3 slices ginger
1 preserved wet plum [salted plum]
700 ml water
1 spring onion - cut into 3 cm lengths [add in before serving]
Some fried crispy garlic with oil [add in before serving]
Seasoning
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
a dash of pepper
1/2 tsp chicken stock granules
  1. Bring water to boil.  Add in all ingredients [except tofu] to cook until aromatic.  Add in seasoning to taste.
  2. Add in tofu to cook.  Bring soup to boil again.
  3. Add in spring onions and dish out to serve hot with fried crispy garlic oil.
Note - you can saute ginger with some oil until aromatic then add in water to boil [I skipped this step cos' I prefer my soup to be less oily]



I'm submitting this post to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday hosted by Suresh of 3 hungry tummies           

6 comments:

Cheahw said...

This is a very appetising soup, can have it on its own!

shaz said...

I was just thinking about kiam chye today. My mum used to make a soup like this but I had forgotten what the ingredients were and how to make it. Thank you so much! I am going to try this soon (with market bought kiam chye). And thanks for visiting my blog :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Shaz, thanks for the comments. This soup itself is quite complete cos' you can add in many other ingredients and it goes well with plain white rice.

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheah, you're right. Usually I add in some other seafood [squids or fish fillets] and have it with rice.

Debs @ The Spanish Wok said...

OMG this soup looks and sounds amazing, will have to try it soon.

You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here for entry details and current theme offering a new theme each month. All bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

Kimmy said...

Hi Debs, thanks for the invitation. I'll be glad to share more soup recipes with you.