Followers

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Banana Walnut Cinnamon Cake

I baked this all in one muffin basing on Happy Homebaker's recipe Banana Walnut Cinnamon Cake.  From her post, I learned several things, so this cake became something special to me.
  1. You can bake them as muffins [12 ] or a cake.
  2. Making the cake is a breeze.   It's so fast I couldn't believe it especially when I had all the ingredients ready.
  3. The cake is really good - soft, moist and fluffly [even on the next day]
  4. I learned from her that by greasing and flouring the sides of the baking tin [I used my brand new loose base round baking tin], the finished cake will give a nice golden crust.   This is true.
Anyway, I had her permission to post her recipe here but I did a little adjustment to suit my taste [less sugar and fats].    Since I used a very sweet specie of bananas,  I reduced the sugar.  Her choice to use 250 gm of bananas makes the cake soft, moist and I think sweet too.  Hopefully, it can be a healthier version for us [old folks].  I also used the measuring spoons to measure the ingredients instead of weighing.
Ingredients
[makes one 7" cake]
Ingredients A - sifted together
150 gm cake flour
2 gm ground cinnamon [I used 1/4 tsp]
4 gm baking powder [I used 3/4 tsp]
2 gm baking soda [I used 1/3 tsp]
1 gm salt [I used 1/6 tsp]
Ingredients B - whisk to combine
2 large eggs
80 gm caster sugar [I used 60 gm] 
70 ml vegetable oil [I used canola oil] 
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 

250 gm - about 3-4 medium sized over ripe banana, mashed (original recipe uses 120g)
70 gm walnuts, coarsely chopped [reserve 1 tablespoon as toppings] - can substitute with any nuts or dried fruits 
  1. Toast chopped walnuts at 150 degrees C for about 8 to 10 minutes, stir in between and make sure walnuts do not get burnt.
  2. Line base of a 7" round pan with removable base with parchment paper, grease (with butter) and flour the sides. Set aside. 
  3. Sieve together cake flour, ground cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. 
  4. Place eggs, caster sugar, oil and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. With a manual whisk, whisk to combine. 
  5. Add mashed banana, whisk to combine. 
  6. Sieve over the flour mixture, with a spatula, fold the mixture until just incorporated. Do not over mix. The batter should appear lumpy. 
  7. Add in chopped walnuts (set aside 1 tablespoon to use as toppings), stir just to combine. 
  8. Pour batter into prepared pan. Tap the pan a few times on work surface to release any trapped air bubbles. Sprinkle the top with the remaining walnuts. 
  9. Bake in pre-heated oven at 175 degrees C for 30-35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the centre comes out clean. 
  10. Remove from oven, leave to cool for 5mins. Unmould and transfer to wire rack, let cool completely. 
Note from  HHB
Recipe source: adapted from 我的幸福手作面包,李成实

2 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Did you use berangan? Since u said it was sweet.

I remember baking the same recipe with berangan and emas. The berangan one was soooooooo sweet it was hard to eat. Now, I just stick to pisang emas when it comes to baking because the sweetness is almost like the type of bananas that westerners use.

Kimmy said...

Hi Wendy, I used pisang emas. Usually, I buy pisang rastali but these pisang emas were FOC from the fruit vendor. Luckily I reduced the sugar otherwise I won't be able to enjoy the cake so much.