Followers

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Home Baked Soft Buns [Straight Dough Method]

This bun recipe is from Kitchen Corner [I tried before and has kept the recipe for sometime] is suitable for plain buns or other buns with any fillings you like.   The buns are soft, light and fluffy for 1-3 days.
I doubled the quantity to make 18 small buns in 2 trays.  The dough was not sticky and easy to handle.  Best of all I can prepare the dough a day ahead of baking by keeping it in an airtight container. Thaw it to room temperature [about 10-15 minutes] and I can make the buns.
Ingredients
[makes 8-9 small buns]
200 gm bread flour
1 tbsp skimmed milk powder
1.5 tbsp castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 tsp instant yeast
120-125 ml water [add gradually]
1 tbsp butter

egg glaze
toasted sesame seeds [optional]
  1.  Mix all ingredients [except butter] together and knead [from low speed to medium high speed]  into a soft dough [about 7-10 minutes].  Add in butter and continue to knead until smooth and elastic.  This takes about 7-10 minutes.  Form dough into a round ball, cover dough and leave to proof for 15 minutes or until double in size.
  2. Punch down dough to release air and divide into 9 portions [about 35-40 gm].  Roll into a smooth ball [or add fillings and make into any shapes] and place in baking tray [7"x7"x3"].  Leave to proof for about 1 hour or double in size.  Brush buns with beaten egg or milk and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds.
  3. Bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes.  Cool on rack before storing in airtight container or plastic wrap.
Note:
I doubled the portion but baked on 2 different days in 2 different shapes - round and oblong.    For the fillings, I use up some of my leftover fillings from earlier bakings.  These buns have various fillings - sambal dried prawns, coconut, cheddar cheese with  raisins and meat floss.   The dough can also be used to bake buns with various toppings like Mexico buns, milk crisps buns and cheese/parsley etc.

21 comments:

FiSh said...

the bun is simple but fresh most importantly :) healthy for a whole family!

Latest: Romantic Affair 2.0

WendyinKK said...

If only i can have these for breakfast tomorrow.. hmmmmm

Kimmy said...

Yes, homemade we get to know how 'old' are the buns and what's in it. Haha!

Kimmy said...

You can, if you are living next door. I always doubled the quantity cos' half goes to my neighbour.

Cheah said...

How I wish I can be your neighbour! These buns look so fresh!

Kimmy said...

You are welcome. I love to cook, bake and share but I seldom get direct comments. I am happy receiving comments from visitors of this blog. It's great motivation to me.

Anonymous said...

Want to comfirm with u , after which step we can kept the dough into fridge for straight dough method and sponge dough method?Because i'm working so had to make day in advance. Thanks.

Yvonne Yeo

Kimmy said...

After kneading the dough until soft, elastic [window pane stage]. Shape dough into a ball, keep in a durable plastic bag [the dough will expand even in the fridge]. Tied up and refrigerate. Thaw to room temperature before shaping. Preparing such dough ahead really make baking buns faster.

Anonymous said...

If for sponge dough , is it I make the sponge then straightly put in a plastic bag and tie it up. 2nd day only mix with the bread dough.Thanks for your reply.

Anonymous said...

For sponge dough is it just knead the sponge then tie up in the plastic bag and to morrow only mix with the bread dough ?Yesterday I had make the cocoa swirl bread , I had Knead 40minutes still cannot get window test , normally how long u knead to get window pane? Then after proof 1/2 hour I put inside fridge , tomorrow I only thaw it 15 minutes then shape it. But I put in oven to proof 1hour still cannot make it to double.can advice ? Tq
Yvonne Yeo

Kimmy said...

Yvonne, you can go to my posting on how-to-make-buns-using-sponge-dough.
Prepare the dough until window pane stage. Keep the dough in plastic bag, tied up and refrigerate. Just thaw this dough to room temperature before shaping. Browse through my other bread/buns postings, you should be able to know the way. I used electric dough mixer, it is easy and fast. Don't worry, practice makes perfect.

Kimmy said...

Yvonne, if you are refrigerating the prepared dough for later use, no need to proof the dough. The dough will proof and expand in the fridge. Sometimes the plastic bag may burst too, that's why I always use durable plastic bags to store the dough.

Claire said...

Hi Kimmy, if we proof the dough in fridge overnight, do we still have to proof it again after thawing and shaping? Do you make the sambal dried prawn filling? If yes, what's your recipe? If no, what brand is good? Thank you :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Claire, after shaping you need to proof it once to double in size before baking. Yes, there's a posting on Sambal Dried Prawns [under filling's label] in April 2012.

Claire said...

Thank you Kimmy :)

Bowie said...

Hi Kimmy,

I tried this recipe and refrigerated the dough for next day's use. But my bread turned out hard.

I must mention I forgot to add the water gradually; and I thawed the dough at room temperature for about 45 mins (still a bit cold to touch when I proceeded to shaping).
The dough while not sticky, felt rubbery and difficult to seal after shaping.

What could possibly be wrong?

Susan

kimmy said...

Hi Susan, sorry to hear your buns turned out hard. Did you knead the dough till soft, smooth and elastic, then keep in plastic bag [tied up] before refrigerating? This is a very crucial step. For faster thawing you can divide the dough into smaller portions, cover them while thawing. The dough should rise while thawing and a bit cold while you shape them, it's ok.

Bowie said...

Hi Kimmy,

Thanks for the tips. Yup, think I didn't do well on the kneading part..:P
Will try again next time.

Susan

kimmy said...

Hi Susan, don't give up cos' I know this is a workable recipe. Practice makes perfect. You may come to a time that by just touching the dough you would know whether it is ready. Happy trying.

Anonymous said...

Hi, can I am trying to make round soft buns with jam in it. Would this recipe work for it as well?

Kimmy said...

Hi Anonymous, these buns are good with any sweet or savoury fillings.